There are 8 Forums included in 4 different categories
palm warbler song
Last Post 20 Jul 2009 10:09 AM by PeteThayer. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
16 Apr 2009 09:58 PM

I have the Rhode Island state database.  The mnemonic for the palm warbler says "trill (weak and buzzy)" but when I play the Sound Recording, it doesn't sound to me like any of those descriptions:  It's not a trill, it's anything but weak, and I don't hear any kind of buzziness.

This could, of course, be just my ear.  But I'm wondering if it's possible that the database got the sound recording for this bird confused with some other? 

I'm new to birding, so perhaps someone more experienced would listen and say "oh, that's the xxxxx" but I can't do that (yet!).

--
    20 Jul 2009 10:09 AM
    Mnemonics are very subjective sometimes. It is better to just listen to the song. Many birds have numerous songs -- some may be a trill and others something completely different. Our software until recently, had just one song. With the new version 3.9.8 and Gold 5.0.2 we now show multiple songs for a few birds (Fox Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, etc). You can import song recordings you have on audio CDs using My Comments (v3.9.8) or My Media (v5.0.2) .

In the ID Wizard section we also have a Sound tab that tries to help folks identify a bird -- even if they just heard it. Here again, these are very subjective -- and we tried to err on the side of including too many birds in a song description.
    Peter W. Thayer, President
    Thayer Birding Software

ThayerBirding.com
    WildBirds.com
    OnlineNatureMall.com
    BackyardBirds.com

You are not authorized to post a reply.